She’s Quite the Tart

Is it any wonder that the English language is difficult to acquire? When I say “tart”, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Is it a pastry or a woman?

Let’s go with this: A pastry shell with shallow sides, no top crust, and any of various fillings. She may be a bit shallow and lacking upper crust but put on the lipstick and heels as this promiscuous girlfriend is worth the trouble.

Quite the Tart

Quite the Tart

Today’s deliciousness comes directly from Spain where Natalie Ward is rolling out amazing vegetarian options.

Roasted Beet, Goat Cheese and Walnut Tart with Walnut Oatmeal Crust
Adapted from FoodBlogandtheDog
Serves 6-8

Roasted beets:

• 3 or 4 medium to large beets
  • olive oil salt & pepper, fresh thyme

IMG_0953Preheat oven to 400. Wash and trim beets, leaving the root and about 2 inches of stalk intact. Place them on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Roast for 45-50 minutes or until tender.

Let them cool and cut off the roots and stalks then rub off the skins with a small knife.

For the pastry crust:

• 1/2 cup wholewheat flour
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 4 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup cold water

IMG_0956Mix together flour, oats, walnuts, salt, pepper & thyme in a large bowl. Add olive oil slowly and mix it into the dry ingredients using a fork until resembles a crumble.

Slowly drizzle in water mixing it with the fork until it starts coming together. Using your hands bring it together into a ball and knead gently just until it holds. Don’t overwork it. It will be crumbly. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, caramelise the onions…

For the filling:

• 1 large red onion, finely sliced (I added some frozen caramelized)
  • 4 Tbs olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • thyme
  • balsamic vinegar (or balsamic syrup)
  • honey
  • a glug of good red wine
  •  a handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup greek yogurt
  • almond milk
  • 3 oz crumbled feta
  • parsley

Cook the sliced onions in a frying pan in olive oil over a medium high heat. Add salt, pepper, thyme, a drizzle of balsamic,  a large drop of honey, and stir occasionally until onions begin to caramelize. Add a glug of wine (I happened to be having a glass of malbec) to deglaze the pan and scrape any bits off the bottom. Cook for a couple of minutes more to reduce any liquid. Leave to cool.

IMG_0957

Preheat oven to 400. Oil a 9 or 10 inch tart dish. Press the dough into and up the sides of the dish using your fingertips. Prick the base multiple times with a fork and bake the pastry for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and lower the heat to 350.

Spread the caramelized onions evenly over the base then chop beets into chunky cubes. Scatter these evenly over the base too. You may not need it all. Add in the walnuts.

IMG_0954In a measuring bowl whisk together the eggs, yogurt, salt & pepper. Add enough milk to take it up to about 14 oz. and whisk again.

IMG_0959Top with the crumbled feta and place on a tray in the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes until slightly golden. Leave to cool to room temperature before serving sprinkled with fresh parsley. Don’t be alarmed that the entire tart isn’t beetroot color when it first emerges as the color will disburse.

IMG_0974

1. Looks scrumptious! My kind of food!!

• It was a bit of work but I really like it – especially the crust. I’m going to keep it on hand for other quiche type dishes.

2. Sounds like a fantastic recipe. Roasted beets are so delish.

• It’s a great summer dish Nancy. Room temp with a salad and a glass of wine.

3. OMG! I will definitely try this recipe! Love, love the intro!

4. Wonderful, Tammy! Thank you for sharing the good stuff with us!

5. There are some great ingredients in this promiscuous tart. I like the sound of the walnuts in the base and the balsamic vinegar, honey and red wine in the filling. It must be an amazing tart xx

• And I love the crust Charlie – will be trying it with other recipes in the future.

6. Lisa H

/  May 15, 2013

Oh, wow! Gotta try this one! For one, it has two of my favorites: caramelized onions and beets. Second, I’m getting pretty good at egg substitutions (darn that allergy!). Lovely dish.

• I am sure you can figure out a good way to change it. You may want to try different goat cheese also.

7. Happened to be drinking Malbec? Girl, we must be long lost relatives!

Love this recipe and got beets today in the CSA and feta from the market. Still have black walnuts in the freezer.

I have to check and see if there are oats in the pantry. Need to get all tarted up.

• Let me know Annie and if you’re ever in the neighborhood, I’d love to share a Malbec with you!

8. Sounds delicious! Also, love your description of her ;)

9. Right. This is Sunday lunch this week. What a gorgeous recipe, Tammy!

10. Thank you for the recognition! I thought about calling it a quiche but I think it was the beautiful pink that made me go with tart instead ;) One of my favourite recipe books is called “The Art of The Tart” there’s always temptation in there :)

11. A heavenly treat.

12. this is a terrific recipe–creative, healthful, and eye-appealing. a savory tart, with earthy-beet sweetness!

• It’s really a nice new recipe for me Nancy. And the crust and the process open up all sorts of new possibilities.

13. What a great way to use beets!

14. DH

/  May 16, 2013

Darn! I was thinking that this was going to be an autobiographical entry.

• In that case, the title would have been She WAS quite the tart. Now you’ll have to settle for the kitchen variety.

15. Love the walnuts in the savory crust! To answer your question: Definitely, without a doubt, the pastry. Specifically, plum.

16. No matter what you call it the tart looks amazing!

17. That crust DOES sound good! Thanks for the recipe!

• With a bit of sweetness, it could be used for fruit tarts. As is, the options are endless; tomato, leek, squash?

18. “She’s quite the tart!” Love that title. And the recipe looks mouth-watering. I’ve put walnuts in a crust before and thought them quite heavenly.

19. Tammy,
    This tart looks yummy, and I love the beet/goat cheese/caramelized onion combo. It works great in a pizza dough (talk about your color disbursement . . .). I foresee tarting up my summer. Unrelated, in tomorrow’s pizza post I wrote a poem and thought of you. I know it’s no longer Poetry month, but the Ode to my Pizza Stone needed to come forth.

20. Hello YUM! Can’t wait to try this! That is, if I can ever figure out the oven in this country (UAE)!!! The other day I burnt cookies in under 7mins! That was a first! LOL :) Will let you know how it goes with the tart!

• Check out the link to food blog and the dog. Natalie has all C measures for you.

• I wish that were my only problem! It’s just wildly fierce and is taking some getting used to. Also, the door of the oven gets dangerously hot (I have to use a child’s safety gate to keep my daughter away) which seems common here. A weird situation all together, but don’t worry, it won’t keep me from this tart! Thanks!

21. This is a beautiful looking quiche and I am sure it tastes delicious. I never ate roasted beets but goat cheese is tasty when grilled too. Well worth trying indeed. Thank you Tammy.

• Do they not grow in Switzerland Isa? I am surprised as I envision you making pickled beets where you are!

22. Tammy, this recipe sounds divine! I am so excited because I have beets and thyme in the garden, just happened to have some goat cheese in the fridge, walnuts from my friend’s family farm, and range-free eggs from someone who wanted our kale for trade. This tart is happening this weekend!

• Check out the original recipe Carrie. It is metric but uses a softer goat cheese and I think that might be a better fit.

23. What a fantasticly savoury filled tart! I love your original walnut-oat crust a lot too! The first picture really made my mouth water,…so much! A must make,…yummmmm!

24. This is a funny and tasty post! Beautiful photos, too. I’m going to serve it the next time I host my book club. They will all appreciate that it contains a glug of wine!

25. Ha, this tart has dressed up indeed! Love the beetroot! :D

26. I had to pin this. Beet season is just around the corner!

27. Wow, that is stunning! And it sounds tasty, too. I’ll have to pass this on to my mother-in-law, who always has a glut of beets in her garden.

• It’s a terrific way to use some up and it keeps well. Nice to have warm as it first comes out of the over or al fresco.

28. this looks amazing! I love beets :) I am a CSA convert. I can’t wait to try this.

Thanks for sharing and linking up!

• It was absolutely necessary for me to learn to like them once we started a CSA but it took some time.

29. Love that title!

30. Do you deliver?! :D YUM!! If only I liked cooking as much as I like good food!

• This is a much more complex recipe than I am used to but it was fun also. I will make the crust again for other things.

1. What’s in the Box? #73 | In Her Chucks