Our kitchen setup is quite traditional. We have a beautiful Dacor range that we installed several years ago when we bought our home, a respectable stretch of concrete countertops where stains and acidic rings indicate frequent use, and a few other high-tech pieces that I’ve grown to love. In past posts, I’ve introduced you to Alex and you know that I rely on our Vitamix daily. Still, there is a short list of rather low-tech items that I’ve come to depend on and find useful everyday.
Each year new kitchen gadgets emerge. People grace me with kitchen gifts at the holidays and after a time, I return to the same simple tools. If I was setting up a new food space, these are the top ten things that I’d have within my reach.
2. Microplane grater – MJ over at the kitchen store followed me around one day and said, “we’ve got something that you need.” She knows me well since she is the one who handled my bridal registry 20 years ago. She was right. From parmesan to ginger, this is a daily use.
5. Fork with wooden handle – okay, this is my quirkiness. For most this should say, good wooden spoon but as you know from previous posts, I glide about the kitchen with this in hand.
6. Cutting board(s) – In a perfect life, I chop once a week making it ever so efficient to throw together meals and snacks. Alas, my life is far from perfect and I chop daily. It is a zen meditation of sorts. I have several but one has a hole in the middle which is great for overlaying the sink.
7. Good sharp knife – I don’t own expensive knives but I am blessed with a husband who keeps them sharp. We also have a truck service that stops in different locations to do sharpening. The next food-related class that I take will be on how best to use knives.
8. Coffee grinder – I need a way to feed Alex and I love the scent of fresh ground beans.
There are more than ten that I could have written about – corkscrew anyone? I’d love to hear from you. What are your go-to kitchen accessories?