Top 10 Farmers Market Etiquette Tips (via Sustainable Cooking for One)

It’s National Farmer’s Market Week. The 7,175 farmers markets on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s farmers market directory represent a 17 percent increase since last year. While the increase is encouraging, we all need to have an appreciation for the hardwork and dedication required to get produce to the market. Ground Cherry has done a nice job of outlining some basic market etiquette. Please try to visit one this week!

Olympia Farmers' Market

1. Go with vague ideas, but be flexible. The tomatoes may be wonderful, but if they’re sold out, how about a pasta dish with zucchini and mint instead?

2. Be patient. No pushing, grabbing, or skipping in line.

3. Ask questions: recipes ideas, name that vegetable, how long something will keep… this is one difference between the supermarket and your local producers.

4. Volunteer answers. If someone asks about your favorite vegetable, tell them wh … Read More

via Sustainable Cooking for One

Previous Post
Next Post

1. If there were these kind of farmer markets in my area, I would really love to visit every other days πŸ™‚

2. thanks for the link! our local market features a group of ubrban kids doing gardening on a reclaimed empty lot and selling produce i buy something from them every week – just because THEY are there!

3. Thanks for the link.

Great article ~ Sustainable Cooking for One looks like my kind of site.

4. I like!
    I’ve now been working on living sustainably/locally naturally, etc. for a full year, and I have LOVED going to Farmer’s markets, that, to me, is the height of “shopping.” Smells, surprises, information, yummy things to eat….

5. Great job, Tammy, bringing us something fresh from the market! πŸ™‚ Thank you for finding these great tips for us!

6. I just wish we had a market like that in our area! We do support the several little ones around here, and sure miss that fresh produce come winter!

7. 17%! That’s fantastic! Well done, USA.

Someone just built a little garden stand at the end of my road, by our little highway. No one knows who is doing it, but the fresh produce is there daily now – along with bunches of flowers. It warms my heart and thrills my tummy.

8. where we live there are no farmers markets 😦 I love visiting overseas where we find these markets, and then questions become important as the ingredients may be very foreign to us πŸ™‚

9. I buy everything from the supermarket and I hate doing so. But I have recently started growing my own vegetables on my window and support several small farmers and buy from them when they have produce. Here, they produce plenty of red chards and I love them with garlic.

• ooh, i love them that way too. They’re also great in a blender with a banana for a morning buzz.

10. Good advice from you and “Sustainable Cooking for One!” Buying from local producers helps reduce our carbon footprint, supports our local economy, means our foods are as fresh as possible, and encourages us to eat more seasonal varieties. Buying organic produce at farmers markets is one step better, and growing your own organics is best of all!

11. Good for farmers markets! Thanks for the lovely link and pic, Tammy πŸ™‚

12. Very well done! Great post, Tammy!

Linda

13. We don’t have farmers markets here. A lot of the produce gets shipped abroad, which is a shame but inevitable I suppose. I get inspiration from what I see growing in the fields where we walk with the dog and then buy it from the store, I would love the feeling of community she mentions getting from visiting a farmer’s market.

14. Kalli and Bill

/  August 14, 2011

woops! i commented on the wrong blog! i love this post and think it is so important to be flexible with how you cook and what you get. yes we are very lucky to be the dog walkers to the inn πŸ™‚

15. We have several great Farmers’ Markets here in Sydney. this is the one I went to on Saturday

• Looks like an amazing structure. My dh just said that if he hit it big, he’d build a structure like this for our market.

16. Thanks for passing this along! We have several farmers markets in our area – Pennsylvania has an especially strong agricultural base. Rule #1 is so true, because whenever I go, I always buy something I didn’t expect to!

17. am not fun of cooking but i love marketing… I wish we have a market like that in my place…

18. We tend to find them in the more rural areas and I love that the people are so friendly!

• I read once that people who visit farmer’s markets have more conversations. I think it’s true.

19. I’m sooooooooo envious of your farmer’s markets!! 😯

20. Beautiful photo! Headed to the farmer’s market tomorrow–with 2 CSAs and a garden can you believe I am out of tomatoes?!

21. Lisa H

/  August 18, 2011

We love our farmer’s market! Just the other day my 13 year old daughter commented how she likes going to the market because I know everyone! It really is a community and there is nothing like shopping outdoors.

• My kids fuss about having to go and then, once they get there and there is good food and familiar faces, they love it.

22. Thank you !

23. A good farmers market is a treasure. We are very fortunate to have several around here, and in addition to fantastic food its always an education and a chance to exlore.

24. wow, what a great photo!

25. Impressive display in the market photo! I participated in the local market last year, but due to the Oklahoma drought, our local market was shut down. Looking forward to following your blog!